You’ve put in the hours. You’ve bled and cried. You’ve driven yourself crazy trying to iron out that nasty plot hole. And now you’ve done it – you’ve finished your manuscript! Huzzah! Congratulations!
But now what? If you want to get your work out there and are considering self-publishing, you’ll want to make sure you cover the basics before attempting to put your words out there for the world to read.
I published my first ebook back in April 2014 – nearly a year ago. And now, with four more books slated for release this year, I’ve put together a checklist to help myself stay on track and would like to share them with you to aid you in your own self-publishing adventure!
Note: This is meant to be a very basic checklist to make sure you don’t forget anything. But not to fear! I’ll be posting more about these checkpoints in detail over the next few months.
Self-Publishing Checklist: 12 Steps to Success
- Beta-Readers, Editors, Proofreaders
- Have you had a second (or third or fourth) set of eyes look at your manuscript?
- Have you edited, revised, and polished your work?
- Launch Date
- Have you selected/announced a launch date?
- Do you have a professional-looking cover for your manuscript? Is it eye-catching? Does it look good as a thumbnail (this is how it will show up on most websites!)? Have you done a cover-reveal?
- Print vs. eBook
- Are you producing this book as an eBook? Are you doing Print on Demand (PoD)? Find the vendors/sites you want to sell through and adhere to their guidelines (formatting, marketing, ISBNs, etc.).
- Has your book (whether print or eBook) been formatted to the appropriate formats for your vendors (or wherever you’re selling?).
- Give yourself a couple extra days to upload your book with to your vendors’ sites so that you don’t miss your release date.
- Have you selected an appropriate/competitive price for your book?
- Blurb/Product Description
- Have you written a stellar (and accurate) blurb to put on the back of your book or on your book’s page?
- Selecting Key Terms
- Have you selected succinct categories and key-terms for your book on your vendors’ websites?
- Marketing Platforms
- Where are you marketing your book? Follow any guidelines for those platforms.
- Review Copies
- Have you sent complimentary copies of your book to any reviewers you have lined up?
I hope this checklist helps you get a good handle on your self-publishing journey. Keep an eye out for more posts on self-publishing in the coming months!
Have any steps that you find crucial to the self-publishing process? Have something you think should be added to the checklist? Have any questions? Let us know in the comments below!