Just a few days left now! Oh, my dear WriMos! We are SO. CLOSE. This wonderfully masochistic month of noveling is coming to an end. Now, I know these last days are valuable – every minute counts when it comes to reaching that goal of 50,000 words – so I’ll keep this post short. (You didn’t think I’d let you use this post to procrastinate for too long, did you?)
For many of you, there are only a handful of words standing between you and the sweet taste of a 2013 NaNoWriMo victory. In the same vein as Faye’s recent post on How to Stay Motivated During NaNoWriMo, I’ve compiled a list of common end-of-November demoralizers and solutions to them. Techniques and tips to help breathe new life into your story and renew your motivation – to help you finish strong.
Hit a wall in your story?/Not sure what to do next?
– Make the most of the NaNo message boards and take a writing dare from other WriMos
– Switch something up in your writing (kill a character off, switch narrators, bring a previously suspected dead character back, etc.)
Getting distracted easily?
– Participate in a #wordsprint on Twitter
– Go somewhere new to write – somewhere out of the house!
Can’t turn your inner editor off?/Keep revising or deleting as you write?
– Try kamakazi mode in Write or Die
– Participate in a #wordwar or #wordscrim on Twitter (whoever writes the most words in a set amount of time WINS!)
Just don’t care anymore?
– Only winners get shirts
– Think how good it’ll feel to have completed a whole 50k words in just thirty days!
– Make a #NaNoWager with another WriMo
– Just check out all the goodies on the NaNoWriMo site – some seriously sweet incentives to win!
I’m just too far behind!
– Stop whining and make an EPIC come back!
– Again, only winners get shirts.
Come on guys! You’re nearly there! You can see the end. You’re closing in on it. And we’re here, cheering you along! Go forth and finish that novel!
How close are you to the 50k mark? Let us know in the comments below!
Join us on Twitter at @TheSprintShack for sprints and more NaNoWriMo madness!